Wednesday, December 18, 2013

App Spotlight: When You Can't Drive, Get a Lyft

Eventbrite.com
There are a certain few applications that are mandatory to have on your smartphone if you live in San Francisco, and an app to get around is one of them. This week's application spotlight is about Lyft and my first experience ride-sharing. I'll preface this discussion by noting that new wave "taxi companies" using regular people driving their own cars have been coming under a lot of heat for not having the proper licenses, permits, and/or insurance (read more here). On the other hand, Lyft and SideCar are not commercial taxi services, but rather communities of ride-sharing volunteers that operate on a donation system. But I'm not here to debate the legality of operations. Regardless of what policymakers are squabbling about, ride-sharing applications are expanding all over the nation and the world and I'm here to tell you what it's like to use them. 

Firstly, when you're getting ready to leave for SantaCon and there's no way you can get there yourself, how do you choose between pickup services? There are three ride-sharing apps currently on my phone: Uber, SideCar, and Lyft. I was really excited to use my new Uber app that had been untouched since download because in the South Bay I am forced to drive myself everywhere. Unfortunately, my friend (the San Francisco native) ixnayed using Uber because of its reputation for being more expensive even though they offer the same peer-to-peer service as well as luxury cars. Although there are some issues with the clarity of Uber's interface, I do think their promotions for bringing Christmas treesice cream, and even kittens to your doorstep are unorthodox, borderline ingenious and at the very least entertaining.

SFgate.com
However, we ended up using Lyft because one, it has the reputation for being cheaper, and two, everyone in our group already had it on their phones. SideCar was conspicuously absent from the conversation. We knew not to call our Lyft until we were completely ready to go because our driver arrived almost instantaneously, one of the benefits of being in the city. I was pleased to find that our Lyft car, like a frat boy in November, really does have a mustache attached to its grill. We were picked up by an older gentleman, I think his name was Bill, who had started his day driving groups of drunken Santa Clauses around at 9AM. He offered us some candy canes, but my mother always told me to never get in a car with or take candy from a stranger, and I was planning on following at least one of those rules that day. Besides, I already had a stack of candy canes hanging from my Santa belt.

Fast forward a few hours to mid-SantaCon, when inevitably someone has to be sent home early. Lyft to the rescue! Again, super quick pickup and a very convivial driver, even with the risk of projectiles from one of the occupants. Sauod, our driver, gave us some much-needed water and snacks for the ride while he dished his insider knowledge on the best bars and secret eats in town. It felt a little like stealing when we rushed out of the car without paying, but if I had had to use an extra minute rummaging through my wallet, we would have swiftly been run over by the angry bus behind us. So essentially, Lyft saved our lives. But seriously, I was able to take as much time as I needed to repay our driver, rate and comment on our ride, and I did it all while lying on the couch after getting home safely. Ride-sharing really is like having a friend pick you up, except they'll actually be on time and won't get lost on the way. 

Here are the reasons why the taxi industry should be worried:
  • Lyft is easier than calling a taxi. Location is automatic rather than trying to explain where you are, automatic payment is faster than hunting for change, and everything can be done safely through the device we often never have out of reach.
  • Lyft is faster than calling a taxi, given you're in a city. On both occasions our Lyft arrived within five minutes. [Update: tried Lyft in a "suburb" like Palo Alto and there were an excess of drivers all within two minutes. But a friend in Toronto claims Lyft's are never available, rendering the app useless.]
  • Lyft is cheaper than a taxi. I think you could technically choose to donate nothing, but just for general human decency I highly recommend not doing that. Overall the rates are rounded and don't murder anyway. 
  • I'm sure this is a good idea.
    Birthdaydirect.com
  • Lyft is more fun than a taxi. I know regular taxi drivers are real people too, but Lyft drivers are much more chatty and give you free candy! [Update: the drivers are actually given incentives to be more creative and entertaining.]
Here are the ways ride-sharing could be improved:
  • Puppy petting stations in every backseat.
  • Every rider gets a human-sized pink mustache. (Free marketing, yes?)
  • More candy.
All in all, my first ride-share wasn't just a ride from point A to point B, but rather an experience that made what happened in-between points a little more memorable.

Remember kids... if you're a little bit trashed, don't get in a crash. Call a mustache!


No comments:

Post a Comment